I’m sure by now you’ve heard the phrase “firing your boss.” Well contrary to popular belief, becoming your own boss is not as difficult as one may believe. It can actually be done in a few steps if followed carefully.
Before I jump right into letting you know my secrets to taking over the world, I want you to know that it isn’t easy. There will be times when you want to quit. Just know to never give up.
1) Learn Yourself. So you say you already know yourself huh? Think again. Sit down and really analyze your personal set of skills and find out what you can and can’t do. Honestly think about whether or not you have the dedication to turn your dream into reality.
2) Know Your Enemies. When reading this I’m going to go out on a limb here and assume that you think your enemy is your business competition. Wrong! Your enemy is what will cause you to fail. Your enemy can be procrastination or negativity. This step goes hand in hand with step 1.
3) Choose A Business You Love. Turning something you love into a business is easiest way to succeed here. Not saying that you can’t make it off of something else, but it’s easier to begin work everyday if you like what you’re doing. Be sure to find a good niche.
4) Learn Your Trade. A lot of us skip this step. Whether you are going to have to go to school, do internet research, or go to the library to pick up a few books, education is key. I don’t care how good your pies taste, if you don’t know the ins and outs of bakery you will never out do the competition.
5) Learn Your Competition. Know and study the competition thoroughly. Especially the older still standing businesses. They are obviously doing something right. Learn from them, don’t just outright copy what they’re doing, but take an idea you like and improve on it and make it your own.
6) Get a Plan. Before going all in, please save yourself a lot of headache and make a full business plan. A full on business plan with all the bells and whistles. If you need to, do research and learn how to make a business plan.
7) Invest Wisely. The keyword here is wisely. Investing hastily just because you see something that you think you need can end up wasting valuable startup capital. Your business plan should include everything you need. Don’t deviate.
8) Don’t Wait! Those that have decided that procrastination was one of their enemies, this is especially for you. The longer you wait to get started, the lower your chances to get going. So if you’re ready, get started!