Quitting your job to work for yourself may seem like an awesome thing to do, but the truth is most of you aren’t built for it.
In order to make a living working for yourself there are many sacrifices to be made and things that you must realize.
To help you grasp what you need in order to get the ball rolling here are 5 things you need to know about the average person and why they couldn’t survive this lifestyle.
5 Reasons Why You Probably Can’t Work For Yourself
1. You live on the edge. It’s a sad truth, but most of us live on the edge of our budgets so to speak. As you begin to make more money, you begin to buy more things, have more bills, and things of this nature. Living like that, you will always be one paycheck away from failure.
2. You expect this to be easy. Working for yourself is exactly the opposite, it’s usually a lot harder than working for other people.
3. You’re scared. Let’s face it, you’re terrified. Most of us are used to getting a paycheck every week, two weeks or whatever your pay schedule may be. You’ll never get anywhere thinking like that. Get out of your comfort zone.
4. You’re waiting for the right moment. The right moment is now. You’re in a holding pattern and the right moment is never going to come.
5. You need to get your business off the ground first. This goes right in with being scared, you have your job and then you have your own business. You don’t want to quit your job until your business is making enough money for you to quit. Sorry, but it never will. You’re putting to much time into your 9 to 5 to make any sort of impact in your own business.
After you’ve gotten these 5 problems out of the way you should move on to worrying about your business. Do you even have one?
Starting Your Own Business
The actual act of starting your own business is an essential part of quitting your job to work for yourself.
Choosing a business is usually the hardest part. You should think of things like what you like to do, what you’re good at, and who your competition will be.
Trying to find a business with low competition isn’t usually too difficult depending on what your skills are.
For example, there may be a shortage of landscapers in your area. If you own a lawnmower and a weed whacker you might just be in business.
You need to know that every business doesn’t succeed, actually most businesses don’t succeed. This is either usually because a lack of demand for the product or service, too much or unbeatable competition, or simply because the business owner doesn’t know how to run the business.
What Is Key To Quitting Your Job To Work For Yourself?
Let’s take a moment of reflection to look over what we discussed.
You have control over yourself and your business. The only thing holding you back is choosing a business with demand and minimal competition.